WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
WHYY News is hiring a transportation reporter on the PlanPhilly team. The beat focuses on various transit systems in Philadelphia and may include coverage of, but is not limited to, transportation modes, innovation, developments and policy. The reporter can follow how Philadelphians move about the city and how the city’s transit infrastructure plays a part. The reporter provides special features and reports for use on broadcast, magazine programs and digital platforms. The candidate possesses a passion for storytelling, has the ability to meet assigned deadlines and understands the value of content distribution across multiple platforms. The reporter is a skilled journalist and storyteller that is able to report and publish written and broadcast content via audio formats, social media, digital platforms and broadcast. We seek someone who is audience-focused, trustworthy, multimedia savvy, and intent on contributing to the organizational effort to cultivate new audiences.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research, report and write stories that uphold journalistic excellence across all publishing platforms.
- Pitch in-depth and impactful story ideas at news and planning meetings.
- Develop and write news and feature stories that have impact. Conduct interviews with a range of sources.
- Perform editing and voice work to prepare for production of an audio piece.
- Coordinate and co-produce special projects.
- Cultivate new contacts with sources and newsmakers that reflect the diversity across the Philadelphia region.
- Produce general assignment reports when assigned.
- Work collaboratively with other reporters and news department staff and share information and story ideas.
- Prepare and write stories for publishing on the website and in newsletters.
- Take still photos and videos for web use as applicable.
- Advanced knowledge of the Associated Press Style.
- Be available to work nights and/or weekends as needed to cover the beat and/or per the news cycle, if breaking or major news happens. Available to contribute to general assignments per department scheduling needs.
- Meet short and long-term deadlines as assigned.
- Use social media to cultivate contacts and promote work.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: A college degree in journalism or equivalent is required.
Experience: Minimum two years of experience as a journalist and/or work in a newsgathering role. Radio experience is preferred, but the candidate will be trained if needed.
Technical Skills: Experience with Microsoft Office software is required and ability to use website search and be trained on content management systems and tools, such as Airtable. Knowledge of audio editing software and equipment (AudioVault, iNews, e-filing from the field, voicing spots from the editing booth, etc) is preferred.
*This position is represented by SAG-AFTRA.
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.