Who We Are
- American Planning Association, Pennsylvania Chapter, Southeast Section (Section or APA PA SE) is the Philadelphia area section of the Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Planning Association, representing members in the counties of Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia. For more detailed information on the structure and committees, click here.
- The Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Planning Association (Chapter or APA PA) is made up of 6 sections (including the Southeast Section) and was created in 1985 by the consolidation of three separate chapters of the American Planning Association located in Pennsylvania. You can join just the APA PA by clicking here.
- The American Planning Association (Association or APA) is the non-profit professional organization that helps promote planning in the United States. It was founded in 1978 by the merger of the American Institute of Planners and the American Society of Planning Officials, which have roots dating back to 1917. To become an APA National member, click here (automatically includes PA Chapter Membership).
- The American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is the APA’s professional institute which certifies professional planners to promote ethical planning, professional development, planning education, and standards of practice through the Certification Maintenance (CM) program and associated continuing education credits.
As outlined in the bylaws, the purpose of the Section shall be to:
- Provide the opportunity for Section members and the public to actively participate in Section and Pennsylvania Chapter activities;
- Further planning by educating members and the public on various planning topics through program meetings and workshops;
- Provide professional development training and promote membership in the AICP of the APA;
- Promote the involvement of citizen planners;
- Disseminate news of Section interest;
- Further the purposes of the APA in the Section area.
To meet our purpose, the Section strives to obtain maximum participation by Section members, businesses, and the general public through a variety of outreach methods spearheaded by our volunteer members.
APA PA SE Section Council meetings and committee meetings are open to everyone, whether they are an active APA member or just interested in participating. Find out more about committees and meetings here. Updates on meetings are posted on the APA PA SE blog www.apapase.org and on the various social media pages. Please invite your friends and colleagues to join any advertised meeting or sign up for any committees. If you have suggestions for increasing engagement with the APA PA SE section, we would love to hear them.
Section members are all encouraged to assist in promoting Section sponsorship with private and public partners, as allowed within the guidelines of their employer. Section sponsorship can extend beyond financial sponsorship to include providing information about Section events to employees or in-kind donations of time or space. Members are encouraged to be creative when seeking to make a connection with a sponsor and be responsive to potential sponsor needs. Section Council is in the process of creating a sponsorship committee to help promote increased sponsorships. Any suggestions on how to increase sponsorship are welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any relevant information can be shared on the Section’s blog (www.apapase.org) by sending a blog post entry, preferably with a photo, to email@example.com. Job listings can also be posted on the blog, with sponsors getting featured job listings. Those that are relevant and provided three weeks before the next Section Council meeting will be included in an email blast to members.
Please connect with APA PA SE via any of the online means below and encourage your friends and colleagues to do the same. If you would like to be involved in providing content for any of these networks or spearhead the creation of an APA PA SE page on another social networking site, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be made an administrator.
For questions about the site, email email@example.com.
Moved? Changed jobs? Need to update your information? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to read the APA Pennsylvania State Chapter’s newsletter.