Website Westtown Township
Westtown Township, Chester County, PA (Population 11,000) is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Township Manager and Director of Planning & Zoning. This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic professional to assist the Township Manager and Board of Supervisors in ensuring that Westtown remains the pre-eminent place to live, work and play in Chester County.
The Director of Planning & Zoning is responsible for administering and enforcing the Township Code and serves as the primary point of contact for all questions from developers and property owners about construction standards, the permitting process, sub division and land development applications, conditional use applications, and variance requests. The employee must have strong leadership, management, organizational and communication skills, be self-motivated, goal-oriented, and able to build a team environment. The Director of Planning & Zoning also serves as the Secretary to the Planning Commission and the Zoning Hearing Board and coordinates the Township’s land planning initiatives, including the Township’s Comprehensive Plan, which was last updated in 2019. The Director of Planning & Zoning will coordinate the Township’s relationship with its third-party inspection firm and work closely with the Township Engineer and Solicitor.
As Assistant Township Manager, the position will back up the Township Manager when he is out of the office or otherwise unavailable, attend Board of Supervisors meetings and generally advise the Board of Supervisors on land development and code enforcement matters as they arise, and be responsible for special projects, on a case-by-case basis.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Ability
Candidates must have the required skills, knowledge and ability:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in land planning, civil engineering, public administration, geography, landscape architecture, or an equivalent field, with at least 4 years of work experience. An advanced degree, e.g. Masters or JD, is preferred. Certification as a professional planner (AICP) is also preferred.
- Experience and familiarity with the Pennsylvania Municipal Planning Code preferred.
- Experience with recreation and park planning preferred.
- Familiarity with local government operations and procedures
- Proficiency with reading and understanding plans for subdivisions, land developments, and public works improvement projects for roads, sewers and parks
- Verbal and written communication skills to successfully interface with township residents and property owners
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to form and sustain inter-municipal relationships
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with document management software
- Ability to lift at least 40lbs
- Familiarity with GIS Mapping
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to pass a background check
- Ability to attend evening meetings
How to apply
To be considered for the position, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than November 29, 2020.
Westtown Township offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Westtown is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for employees and residents alike.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com