Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist Full-Time (40 hours/week) Contractor Position – Public Affairs Division, Philadelphia Water Department
The Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) is a 2,000-employee public utility committed to providing clean water to residents and businesses in the greater Philadelphia region. The utility’s top commitment is to consistently and reliably deliver to its more than 2 million customers the professionalism, quality and service that stand as PWD’s core values.
Carrying out its mission to protect the City’s public health and the environment, the Philadelphia Water Department has become a national leader in water quality, energy conservation and sustainable practices.
The Public Affairs Division is a dedicated, customer-focused division of PWD committed to enhancing the quality of life of PWD customers.
Public Engagement Team
Public Engagement is responsible for building public support for the Philadelphia Water Department’s integrated services and investments that result in cleaner waterways in Philadelphia. The Team generates public support primarily through community outreach and notification, public participation programming, partnership-development, strategic communications and customer research. By creating opportunities that inform, educate and inspire action, the Public Engagement Team helps facilitate the implementation of Green City, Clean Waters, builds appreciation for PWD infrastructure, services and technology in addition to furthering environmental stewardship of the City’s watersheds.
The Public Engagement Team is comprised of in-house contractors in the Public Affairs Division who work collaboratively with PWD staff within the Public Affairs Division in addition to working with employees and contractors of other divisions within PWD and beyond.
The Public Engagement Team is seeking a Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist that will manage the Philly Water Bar, an initiative created to bust myths about the quality of tap water in Philadelphia by highlighting the City’s high-quality tap water as sustainable, affordable, safe and healthy. The Philly Water Bar was launched in 2019. The Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist will help further the Philly Water Bar programming, which requires event planning, coordination and communications needs that result in the successful launch of Philly Water Bar 2.0 and ultimately the swift management of the water bar to best promote safe tap water consumption in homes across Philadelphia. The Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist will spend approximately 40% of work hours on this task in addition to similar tasks that support Drink Philly Tap and PWD initiatives/events (i.e., groundbreakings, ribbon-cuttings, tours, etc.).
The Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist will also help facilitate the implementation of Green City, Clean Waters, the city-wide program that is setting the national standard for managing stormwater runoff with a primarily green infrastructure-focused approach. The Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist will plan, organize, coordinate, develop, communicate, and track the public notification and outreach process for Green City, Clean Waters primarily in South Philadelphia, Center City and the Riverwards. Sample communities in these sections of the City include Point Breeze, Northern Liberties and Kensington. Additionally, the Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist will work closely with the Green Stormwater Infrastructure (GSI) District 2 planners and the GSI District 2 design engineers. The Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist will also be expected to work collaboratively with a variety of external partners. The Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist will spend approximately 35% of work hours on this task and other similar tasks to support the implementation of GSI.
The Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist will also spend the remaining 25% of her/his time supporting internal systems development and data management in addition to customer research support. Contacts management, data tracking, comprehensive survey analysis, report writing and coordination of the implementation of recommendations from survey results are among the tasks expected to be carried out by the Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist.
Overview of Role
The Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist will work on the Public Engagement Team in the Public Affairs Division of the Philadelphia Water Department through the Trans-Pacific Engineering-CDM Smith-Sage Services contract. The Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist will be an in-house contractor and will report to Tiffany Ledesma (Manager, Public Engagement Team).
The primary responsibilities of the Project Coordinator/Outreach Specialist are to plan public engagement efforts strategically; to build support for PWDs services and investments in communities through stellar and creative communications; to present accurate and timely information; to collect and facilitate feedback; to organize, analyze and track data; to collaborate internally and externally, and to celebrate project milestones among other events. Furthermore, s/he will be customer-sensitive, present information in public and will be a self-starter in addition to a team player.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and background:
- Project/contract management related experience – Performance in a high production, fast-paced environment
- A meticulous approach to work and an eye for detail; strong organizational skills are a must
- The ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting deadlines
- A people-person. Interpersonal skills are necessary for the tasks
- A strong public-speaker – being comfortable presenting information at community meetings.
- A flexible schedule is necessary (evening community meetings occur several times per month).
- An independent worker who is also a team player. Comfortable working with more technical staff (and non-technical staff) within PWD. Communication with community members in their neighborhoods is also expected.
- Strong command of English (written and verbal). Fluency in other languages too is desired (although not required).
- A strong interest in Philadelphia’s neighborhoods, particularly the Riverwards and South Philadelphia
- The ideal candidate will also be passionate about environmental and sustainability related topics. S/he will be responsible for helping to build support for Green City, Clean Waters and other PWD sustainability-related initiatives, among other topics.
- The ideal candidate is a “generalist,” yet comfortable learning about technical information (i.e., engineering concepts that relate to the information being presented to the impacted communities).
- A minimum of 2 years of professional, relevant work experience is required. Relevant work experience includes work in environmental planning, urban planning, community planning, communications, public affairs, environmental management and/or a similar field.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Sciences in addition to a masters’ degree in city/urban planning, public policy, public administration, environmental studies, science communication and/or a similar degree is required.
- Computer skills: the candidate must be proficient in Windows in addition to content management systems. Adobe Creative Suite and GIS are preferred, but not necessary.
- The ideal candidate possesses a Pennsylvania drivers’ license and is comfortable driving in the City.
About Trans-Pacific Engineering Corp.
Trans-Pacific Engineering Corporation (TPEC) is an equal opportunity employer. TPEC is a Civil/Environmental Engineering consulting firm headquartered in Willow Grove, PA with a wide client base throughout the region. TPEC employees enjoy a friendly, flexible work environment and competitive salary with benefits package including paid holidays/flexible time off, health insurance, life and disability insurance, tuition assistance and retirement savings plan with company match.
If interested in this opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to Phil Chiang by 5 p.m. on Monday, October 14, 2019: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com