Azavea his hiring a Temporary Cicero Research Specialist!
Click here for the full job announcement and to apply for this opening.
Our Cicero team is growing and we hope you will join us. We expect to hire one to three part-time, temporary positions that would start in October and continue through March 2019. Based on the candidate and work load, there may be additional opportunities that continue past spring 2019.
The Data Analytics team manages Cicero
, a global database of elected officials and legislative districts that is made available as an API, as a batch processing system, and as a licensed database. Cicero enables non-profits and other civic organizations to advocate more effectively by connecting constituents with their elected officials at the local, state and national levels. The Cicero database includes data from nine countries, and due to the November election in the U.S., we will have a significant increase in data research over the next several months. We are looking for energetic, fast-learning, and meticulous people to do web research and data entry of legislative candidates and elected officials to update the Cicero database. The part-time candidates will work about 20-35 hours per week on average, but in the months following the election, this may fluctuate based on your schedule, inauguration dates and data availability.
Using a combination of official legislature, election commission and individual campaign websites, you will:
- Research elections in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, U.K., Australia and New Zealand for timely updates to the Cicero database
- Enter elected official name and associated contact and other profile information in our online data entry system
- Assist in expanding our data coverage
- Quality assurance and quality control of the data
- Be interested in technology, the web, elections and democracy
- Have radical attention to detail
- Possess strong organization and time management skills
- Be familiar with basic business applications: email, MS Excel, web browsers, etc.
- Have a strong ability to work independently, multi-task, and use initiative to get things done
These skills are not required but would be a plus:
- Knowledge of GIS concepts and software (ArcGIS and/or QGIS)
- Familiarity with SQL in database applications such as MySQL, MS Access, or PostgreSQL