The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) is the sixth largest transportation system in the United States, with a vast network of fixed route services including bus, subway/elevated, trackless trolley, light rail, and commuter rail serving a 2,200 square mile service region.
SEPTA is seeking to hire an Operations Planner. This position will be located at our Headquarters in Center City, Philadelphia. The ideal candidate will have B. A. or B. S. in Urban Planning, Transportation Planning, Business, or related field and a minimum of two (2) years progressive experience in railroad or similar operations.
Salary range: $56,000 – $70,000
Performs a wide range of RRD operations planning functions, conducts technical analysis for support of branch line optimization, and coordinates planning efforts with appropriate SEPTA departments and external entities.
Responsible for the design and layout of the railroad timetables and station posters, and the capability to set up print files of Railroad Division train services for SEPTA’s 13 line segment commuter rail network operating over SEPTA and AMTRAK territories in Southeastern Pennsylvania and parts of New Jersey and Delaware.
Responsible for coordination of timetable and planning information with SEPTA Bus Operations and Planning and outside agencies, including AMTRAK, NJ Transit, Delaware Transit Corporation, PennDOT, and connecting bus operators (rushbus, DART, Suburban Transit Network, Krapf, and other employee sponsored rail shuttle bus operators).
Develops bus substitution packages for SEPTA railroad services during State of Good Repair EM&C Capital Project work. Publishes bus schedules, driver blocks, along with bus routings for use by SEPTA Bus Operating personnel.
- Conducts technical analysis for a range of decisions on rail and connecting bus services. Makes recommendations on efficiency, needed improvements and optimization of operations.
- Responsible for setting up camera-ready railroad timetable and station poster files. Prepares files for print production. Works with internal and external printers, through proof and revision processes, completes changes as required. The capability to set up www.septa.org digital graphic files for regular and special service on-line web timetables.
- Performs special rail construction service schedule development including bus substitution service schedules, bus assignment by garage and bus type, operator work blocks, and bus routings. Acts as liaison to Bus Operations to enable proper staffing and equipment availability.
- Communicates and coordinates with external bus operators connecting with SEPTA Regional Rail services, i.e. Rushbus, DTC, Krapf, employee shuttles (Radnor, Paoli, and West Trenton).
- Responsible for railroad reporting functions for annual FTA and contract billing including rail car and train mileage reporting for inclusion in FTA Section 15 reports, and operational billing for services within the State of Delaware and over Amtrak owned lines.
- Answers request for information by other SEPTA departments or outside agencies such as the FTA, PennDOT, DVRPC, the City of Philadelphia and suburban counties.
- Assists in preparation of the Annual Service Plan document and related material, when applicable.
- Coordinates with Strategic Long Range Planning and Operations on regional rail planning efforts for 5-year horizons.
- Monitors Regional Rail Division on board passenger counts and service conditions and identifies trains to address.
- Reviews performance of revised timetables for the purpose of on time performance. Assist in the development of OTP committee reports and recommendations.
- Monitors performance of revised timetables for the purpose of determining acceptance by our customers. Handle Veritas customer reports and requests, and monitors for trends.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- B. A. or B. S. in Urban Planning, Transportation Planning, Business, or related field plus a minimum of two (2) years progressive experience in railroad or similar operations required. Plus one (1) year design experience creating print/web files preferred.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education (i.e., two (2) years of related experience equating to one (1) year of formal post-high school education or M.A. in related field) may be considered in lieu of the above requirements.
- Demonstrates experience working with Adobe Creative Suite 6: InDesign and Acrobat Pro. Knowledge of prepress requirements, printing specifications, and graphic standards preferred.
- Knowledge of SEPTA’s railroad and bus operations preferred.
- Familiarity with the physical characteristics of SEPTA’s Regional Rail Operations or a railroad system of similar complexity preferred.
- Familiarity with the geography of the five-county Southeastern Pennsylvania Region preferred.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and good analytical skills required. Must demonstrate ability to serve as a representative spokesperson for the Authority.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and publishing software (i.e. Adobe Indesign, Illustrator, and Acrobat Pro) required. Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and MS Access database skills preferred.
- Data management experience highly preferred.
To apply for this job please visit autohire.careershop.com.