Website Montgomery County Planning Commission
MONTGOMERY COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION, P.O. BOX 311, NORRISTOWN, PA 19404-0311
The Montgomery County Planning Commission (MCPC) is located in a diverse and historic suburban community of over 856,000+ people located directly northwest of Philadelphia. The county is home to a variety of communities, including revitalizing boroughs and villages as well as scenic, rural townships. We are an award-winning agency with a well-earned reputation as an innovator of cutting edge planning concepts and strategies. Our mission is to provide professional planning services that provide effective solutions to community challenges.
We are looking for an outgoing, technically proficient, and highly motivated individual to join our dynamic team of professional planners.
POSITION TITLE: SENIOR COUNTY PLANNER / DATA ANALYST
DEPARTMENT: PLANNING COMMISSION – COUNTY SECTION
POSITION REPORTING: SECTION MANAGER – COUNTY PLANNING
SALARY RANGE: $53,614 – $61,656 (depending on experience)
REMOTE WORK ELIGIBLE: Eligible for Hybrid Schedule
SUMMARY: The Montgomery County Planning Commission seeks a senior county planner and data analyst who will oversee the planning commission’s ongoing data analysis efforts as well as assist with the upcoming 2050 comprehensive planning process. The county planning section at the Montgomery County Planning Commission is responsible not just for the comprehensive plan and its offshoots, but also farmland preservation and food promotion strategies, housing and development analysis, and demographic projection studies for local school districts.
County planning staff work closely with other departments and provide overall support to the agency.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Conducts analysis and research related to demographic projections, housing and non-residential construction, economic development, and other planning issues
- Interprets quantitative analyses through the application of statistical and quantitative analysis concepts and techniques, mathematical models and simulation program
- Improve county-wide data analysis capacity by assisting other data users with projects that require data sharing and interpretation and be an instrumental part in establishing a new county-wide open data platform
- Use or have background in a variety of software and visualization tools to create, manage, and maintain data visualizations that assist management, government staff, and the general public to understand data trends, track key performance indicators, etc.
- Review proposed land developments, zoning ordinances, subdivision and land development ordinances, and other documents for any broader implications as they pertain to land use planning
- Work cooperatively with other staff, general public, and local officials
- Act as project manager and author for reports, projects, and plan research, development and publication as assigned
- Participate in professional planning events and actively engage in professional development
- Have technical knowledge in some or all of the following: land use, housing, transportation, open space, environment, demographics, comprehensive and long-range planning, real estate markets and trends, research techniques for land use trends, and related subjects
- Attend public meetings, day or evening, as well as represent the Montgomery County Planning Commission on various committees or at community meetings and events
- Master’s Degree in Planning, Data Analytics, Data Science or related degree plus 4 or more years of experience in current or equivalent position, or combination thereof
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to be successful in the position
- Demonstrated experience in some statistical and analytical software (examples include SQL tools, Microsoft Excel, Power BI, Tableau, common statistics programs, etc.) as well as experience extracting and updating data from a variety of database systems
- Excellent communications skills and public speaking ability to be used with peers, Planning Commission members, local governments, and other stakeholders
- Utilize ArcGIS Pro and work cooperatively with office GIS staff
- Knowledge of essential professional office computer software to perform word processing, spreadsheet analysis, presentations, and other planning work
- Good analytical, organizational, logical thinking and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines and organize information
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Have a valid driver’s license
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, move, and/or sit, as well as talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands or arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
The employee must be able to occasionally attend meetings or visit sites outside of this office’s Norristown location during the day or night.
Meetings may last several hours beyond the traditional work day.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The Montgomery County Planning Commission is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Montgomery County Planning Commission complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. Persons with a disability who need assistance with their application or that need this announcement in an alternative format may call (610) 278-3722.
TO APPLY ONLINE: Go to https://www.montcopa.org/Jobs.aspx – fill out the application form under the job posting. Please submit a cover letter with your application.
TO SEE BENEFITS ONLINE: Go to https://www.montcopa.org/4056/Employee-Benefits
To apply for this job please visit www.montcopa.org.