Website Montgomery County Planning Commission
The Montgomery County Planning Commission (MCPC) is located in a diverse and historic suburban community of over 820,000 people located directly northwest of Philadelphia. The county is home to a variety of communities, including revitalizing boroughs and villages as well as scenic, rural townships. We are an award-winning agency with a well-earned reputation as an innovator of cutting edge planning concepts and strategies. Our mission is to provide professional planning services that provide effective solutions to community challenges. We are looking for an outgoing, technically proficient, and highly motivated individual to join our dynamic team of professional planners.
POSITION TITLE: PLANNER
DEPARTMENT: PLANNING COMMISSION – COMMUNITY SECTION
POSITION REPORTING: SECTION CHIEF – COMMUNITY
SALARY RANGE: $44,844
This position requires the individual to be proficient in the terminology and application of the technical and political processes concerned with the use of land, public welfare, and the design of the natural and built environment in general.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES shall include the following:
- Manage planning projects for municipal and regional clients
- Review subdivisions and land developments
- Work cooperatively with other staff, general public, and local officials
- Manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and organize information
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES in addition to all of the above shall include some combination of the following dependent upon stated position:
- Write zoning, land development, and subdivision regulations
- Author and produce planning related documents such as, but not limited to, comprehensive plans, studies, and reports, including, but not limited to, revitalization plans, open space plans, parking studies, and fiscal impact studies.
- Have technical knowledge in land use, housing, transportation, open space, environmental, demographics, landscape design, zoning, planning law, and related subjects
- Attend and participate in public meetings, both day and evening
- Work closely with municipal planning commissions and task forces, leading group discussions and building consensus to advance planning goals; undertake public outreach efforts, when appropriate
- Grant writing
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all essential and specific duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Master’s Degree in Planning or related degree plus 1 year of professional planning related experience
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to be successful in the position
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills including public speaking
- Good analytical, organizational, logical thinking and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to use state of the art business and audio visual equipment
- Ability to multi-task and willingness to take initiative and assume a leadership role
- Strong organizational skills and time management
- Knowledge of essential professional office computer software to perform word processing, spreadsheet analysis, presentations, design and ability to learn certain geographic information system functions
- Have a valid driver’s license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear. Walking is required in field conditions with uneven terrain to perform site visits, acquire information, and perform inspections or to attend meetings. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to handle or feel objects. The employee is also required to kneel or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
The employee must be able to drive to various locations during the day or night and attend meetings that may last several hours.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TO APPLY ONLINE: Go to http://www.montcopa.org/151/How-to-Apply; fill out the application form under the job posting.
To apply for this job please visit www.montcopa.org.