OPENING DATE: May 2019
SALARY RANGE: Mid to High $50,000’s (position level & salary commensurate with education & experience)
LOCATION: Transportation Programs, Office of Project Implementation
CLOSING DATE: When position is filled
AREAS OF CONSIDERATION: All sources
The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC) is the Philadelphia region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization. We believe DVRPC is a place to work, learn, and create a career in a professional and stimulating environment that values diversity, innovation, and bringing your best self to work. If your background and experience match the following vacancy, we would like to hear from you.
This is a technical / professional position providing direct assistance to local government and non-profit agencies in implementing various non-traditional, federally funded transportation projects in the Delaware Valley region.
The incumbent will coordinate and facilitate the implementation process (beginning at project concept through construction) of numerous projects that are sponsored by a local government, other public agency, or by a private non-profit organization, in addition to program management work. The types of projects include: bicycle facility construction (both on and off roadway); reconstruction/restoration of historic transportation buildings; provision of pedestrian facilities through sidewalk and ADA ramp improvements; and other such projects eligible under federal funding programs. The federal funding sources are generally Transportation Alternatives Set-Aside (TA Set-aside), Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) and Surface Transportation Program (STP/STU).
PennDOT has asked DVRPC to coordinate and facilitate the implementation of these non-traditional projects, in which the project sponsor is responsible for hiring and managing professional engineers/architects to develop the plans, specifications, and estimates for the project and for submitting these through PennDOT for approval.
The incumbent will coordinate and facilitate this work with the project sponsor in the same manner as PennDOT’s managers for the pre-construction phases of the project. PennDOT will let the construction contracts and the sponsor will provide for construction inspection. The work of the incumbent will be performed in accordance with overall DVRPC policies, federal and state requirements, and professional standards. Work will be reviewed by senior level managers through regular project status meetings.
- Coordinate meetings and field views with project sponsor, PennDOT and affected municipalities and counties.
- Assist the project sponsor in the process of getting a consultant under contract, including providing guidance on the preparation of the request for qualifications (RFQ), how to advertise and solicit responses, and the requirements of the state/federal consultant selection process.
- Assist the project sponsor in the reviews of consultants’ responses to the RFP, including the scope and cost proposals, project schedule, and list of deliverables.
- Oversee the project’s environmental review process and the development of environmental documents.
- Pursue, with the project sponsor and the consultant, the timely delivery of final plans, specifications and estimates to PennDOT.
- Write letters, meeting minutes and give status reports to technical committees.
- Perform related work as required.
- Knowledge of basic engineering principles.
- Knowledge of how transportation projects are implemented preferred.
- Experience related to project development and management preferred.
- Knowledge of the applicable state and federal standards preferred.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite.
- Strong oral, writing, organization, and presentation skills to ensure efficient project delivery.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with public and private agency officials, consultants, the general public, and other DVRPC staff.
- Ability to travel and attend meetings at various locations throughout the DVRPC region approximately 25% of the time.
Experience & Training
To classify as a level TE I, a minimum of one year of professional experience in Civil or Transportation Engineering or Project Management including demonstrated skills in design, construction management/inspection, or a related field, and a Bachelor’s degree with major course work in Civil Engineering or a related field. A Master’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field may be substituted for one year of experience.
Please forward cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org