Website City of Philadelphia
A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent, Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If you’re interested in working with a passionate team of people who care about the future of Philadelphia, start here.
What We Offer:
Impact – The work you do here matters to millions.
Growth – Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
Diversity & Inclusion – Find a career in a place where everyone belongs.
Opportunities in Tech – Don’t wait for the future, shape it.
Benefits – We care about your well being.
The City of Philadelphia’s Energy Office serves to manage energy supply and demand for city government operations. The mission of the Energy Office is to:
- Strategically procure cost-effective, reliable, clean energy and conventional energy systems for city government
- Promote energy conservation and efficiency within City departments by providing education, technical expertise, promoting systems change, and analysis of energy used
- Develop and implement projects and programs that promote the efficient use of energy and reduce the City’s environmental impact
- Support Philadelphia’s climate and energy goals; and position City government to lead by example
The Energy Office is housed within the City of Philadelphia’s Office of Sustainability (OOS). OOS works with partners around the City to improve quality of life in all Philadelphia neighborhoods, reduce the City’s carbon emissions, and prepare Philadelphia for a hotter, wetter future.
This position reports to the City’s Senior Energy Management Analyst and collaborates with other members of the Energy Office, the Office of Sustainability (OOS), and additional partner departments and agencies. This is an opportunity to help solve complex problems, gain valuable experience in energy and facilities management, and contribute to the sustainability goals outlined in the City’s Municipal Energy Master Plan.
- Assist in managing the City’s energy management database, including bill upkeep and uploads, user training and major data changes.
- Ensure data is accurate and work to apply solutions when it is not.
- Manage day-to-day issues with utility bills and meters working with facilities personnel and utility companies.
- Work closely with the Senior Energy Management Analyst in identifying areas for automation in utility billing and energy management tasks and work together to develop solutions.
- Track and analyze energy use at the facility and department level and offer direct support to departments in achieving energy reductions.
- Track and verify savings of completed energy efficiency and conservation projects.
- Develop a reporting process for completed work and projects.
- Support Energy Office staff in running reports, analyzing data, supporting energy conservation and efficiency programs, and office administrative items.
- Support regular updates to the City’s municipal greenhouse gas inventory.
- Work closely with the Senior Energy Management Analyst to support municipal building benchmarking.
- Support work to advance racial equity and environmental justice principles across OOS priority areas, portfolio, and initiatives.
- 4 years of experience in energy management, utilities, data analysis, or other relevant experience (for example, data processing). Each year of relevant post-secondary education will be counted toward experience.
- LEED Green Associate credential.
- Familiarity with energy systems and passion for sustainability.
- Knowledge of new and emerging trends in the area of energy efficiency and energy management.
- Familiarity with racial equity and environmental justice issues.
- Energy management database experience.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to manipulate, analyze, and organize large data sets.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Comfortable and effective working both independently and on teams.
- Experience with data analysis platforms: R, Python, etc.
- Willingness to engage in and support the office’s racial equity and environmental justice work.
Salary: $45,000 – $55,000
Cover letters and other supporting documents will be accepted but not required.
Closing Date: October 27th, 2020.
Job Training & Professional Development Statement
OOS is committed to building the capacity of staff members. In addition to access to external trainings, certifications or other professional development opportunities, learning also occurs in a shared setting. All team members jointly participate in exploring new concepts, resources, and skills. The entire OOS team convenes regularly to strengthen skills and competencies through knowledge exchange, resource sharing, and peer-to-peer support.
Staff further build skills and knowledge through mentoring with members of the senior leadership team and peer-to-peer mentoring. Staff receive guidance and coaching from other OOS staff as well as other partners based on professional growth interests.
Did you know?
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- Employees are eligible for a 25% tuition discount program (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- We offer comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available
Successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.