OPENING DATE: March 2019
SALARY RANGE: Mid $40,000s to Mid $50,000s (position level & salary commensurate with education & experience)
LOCATION: Office of Geographic Information Systems
CLOSING DATE: When position is filled
AREAS OF CONSIDERATION: All sources
The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC) is the Philadelphia region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization. We believe DVRPC is a place to work, learn, and create a career in a professional and stimulating environment that values diversity, innovation, and bringing your best self to work. If your background and experience match the following vacancy, we would like to hear from you.
Other responsibilities include compiling and managing geospatial data; performing spatial analysis that supports the Commission’s planning activities; assisting staff with design, development and implementation of geospatial solutions.
This position requires project-level collaboration with a diversified group of technical and planning staff but will offer the autonomy to make decisions on the best technology solutions on a per-project basis. Work is performed in accordance with general agency policies and professional standards with results subject to review by the Manager, Geospatial Application Development.
- Design, develop, and support web mapping applications in collaboration with GIS and Web Development staff.
- Develop powerful and vivid web-based data visualization and geospatial interfaces.
- Assist with the maintenance and troubleshooting of existing geospatial applications.
- Ability to write clear and concise code to ensure the ease of future maintenance.
- Proactively identify application inefficiencies and propose solutions.
- Stay current on technology trends and identify ways to innovate our products.
- Integrate a diverse set of data into custom geospatial applications.
- Implement interactive applications using a data API/JSON.
- Perform GIS analysis and create professional map documents using Esri ArcGIS desktop, ArcGIS Pro, or QGIS software in support of planning activities.
- Create, modify, and maintain geospatial datasets.
- Meet with staff to provide expertise with defining data needs, project requirements, and required outputs.
- Represent the Office of GIS and the Commission at meetings and public forums as required.
- Perform related work as required.
- Proven experience with GIS Software, such as ESRI’s ArcGIS Suite and QGIS.
- Experience building web maps and apps using ArcGIS Online.
- Experience with automating data management tasks with Python. Familiarity with Python web frameworks such as Django and Flask are a plus.
- Familiarity with using SQL in PostgreSQL/PostGIS to construct spatial queries and perform geoprocessing tasks.
- Knowledge of data visualization concepts and tools such as D3, Highcharts, etc. are a plus.
- Knowledge of cartographic principles (knowledge of Adobe Illustrator is a plus).
- Excellent communication skills with attention to detail, and the ability to present innovative and creative solutions effectively in oral, written, and graphic form.
- Comfortable with the basics of using command line interfaces such as Node.js, git, and Linux Ubuntu.
- Ability to work independently and within a team of diverse skills, and to maintain effective working relationships. Ability to receive and provide constructive feedback.
Experience and Training
To classify as a Level TS I, a minimum of one year of professional Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or web application programming experience is required. To classify as a Level TS II, a minimum of three years is required. Such experience may have been gained from a combination of experience and training. Training may have been gained through graduation from an accredited two-year or four-year college or university, with major coursework in GIS, geography, regional or transportation planning, or a related discipline. A Master’s degree or a full year of intern or co-operative education experience can be substituted for one year of experience.
Please forward cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
DVRPC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Full consideration will be given to all eligible, qualified applicants without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability, domestic or sexual violence victim status, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition (including pregnancy), national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation; or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. Minority, female, and disabled applicants are encouraged to apply.
Employment is contingent upon ability to comply with Immigration and Naturalization Service regulations which states when offered employment “identity and right to work in the United States” must be produced.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org