DVRPC is excited to host a one-day, interactive workshop, Integrating Health into Comprehensive Planning, on Tuesday, August 2, 2016 from 9AM – 4PM at DVRPC. The workshop will be facilitated by Beth Altshuler, Senior Associate and Epidemiologist/Urban Planner with Raimi + Associates.
There is a growing interest in and awareness of the role that the built environment plays in supporting healthy individuals and communities. Recognizing that comprehensive plans help guide how a community grows and can support the development of healthier spaces and lifestyles, DVRPC’s Healthy Communities Task Force is hosting a hands-on workshop that will provide attendees with a better understanding of how to integrate health into their communities’ planning processes.
Attendees will leave with a better understanding of:
- How health can be integrated into planning (comprehensive plan update, revised codes and ordinances, health element, or separate health-related plans like bike and pedestrian plans);
- How to articulate the health, sustainability, equity, economic, social, and physical co-benefits of the built environment in comprehensive plans;
- Data literacy and analysis for both planning and public health data;
- How to think about community health improvements at different scales;
- How to evaluate the pros and cons of different policy approaches to the same health issue; and
- Best practices for community engagement and communication about healthy community planning for different types of stakeholders.
At the end of the day, it is our hope that attendees will feel confident that they have the tools to initiate or enhance healthy planning processes in their counties and/or municipalities, with the goal of shaping the built environment to support healthier communities. Agenda to follow.
Integrating Health into Comprehensive Planning
Tuesday, August 2, 2016
9AM – 4:00PM | Registration: 8:30AM
(breakfast and lunch will be provided)
DVRPC Main Conference Room
190 N Independence Mall West, 8th Floor | Philadelphia, PA 19106
Cost: $65 | We plan to offer 5 AICP CM Credits
Raimi + Associates (R+A) is an urban planning, applied research, and evaluation firm with offices in Berkeley, Los Angeles, and Riverside, California. Their mission is to provide consulting services that support community health, sustainable neighborhoods, and social equity. They are nationally recognized for their commitment to elevating community health in all aspects of their work and were named the Best Emerging Planning and Design firm in 2015 by the National American Planning Association. R+A has incorporated health into over a dozen comprehensive plans, and is a leader and innovator in the Health in All Policies field, health analysis (see the LA Health Atlas), and Health Impact Assessments. R+A has a successful track record partnering effectively with government agencies, nonprofits, community collaboratives, private developers, and foundations to achieve their long-term visions. They view community health and social equity broadly, and believe that by bringing cross-sector stakeholders together, meaningful change is possible.