OPENING DATE: September 2019
SALARY RANGE: High $40,000s to Mid $50,000s (position level & salary commensurate with education & experience)
LOCATION:Office of Community and Economic Development
CLOSING DATE: When position is filled
AREAS OF CONSIDERATION: All sources
The Office of Community and Economic Development focuses on creating Livable Communities at the regional and local level through various programs and processes. These include maintaining the regional community and economic development strategy (CEDS), convening meetings with regional economic development stakeholders, facilitating a municipal grant program, developing revitalization strategies through retail and land use analysis, and advancing equity and opportunity for all across the region.
This is a professional position in the field of community and economic development performing planning analysis and related work. The Planner will be responsible for assisting with research and analysis in a wide variety of community and economic development planning activities and technical studies related to such topics as revitalization, economic development, community development, equity, housing, land use, and demographics. Work involves assisting with research and analysis, and preparing plans, presentations, and outreach. Work is performed in accordance with general agency policies and professional standards with results subject to technical review by the Manager, Office of Community and Economic Development.
- Assists in the analyses of land use and economic development policy, including the preparation of community revitalization, infrastructure, and land use inventories and related data and studies.
- Prepares maps, charts, and related graphics for use as working tools and for presentation, as appropriate.
- Assists in the development of project study needs, scopes, and methodologies. Identifies data sources and appropriate contacts for study coordination.
- Assists in the coordination and staffing of technical and policy level steering committees during the preparation of studies and plans.
- Assists in the programming of events, including tours and workshops.
- Prepares written text for reports and presents study and research results to public and private sector representatives.
- Prepares survey instruments as needed and analyzes the results.
- Undertakes field work (land use, building condition, housing characteristics, environmental features, etc.) and compiles, analyzes, and summarizes the results.
- Performs related work as required.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and objectives of urban planning, including community development, housing, tourism, and associated topics.
- Considerable expertise with word processing, spreadsheet software, databases, and presentation software.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is preferred.
- Ability to independently secure and analyze facts through research, interviewing and investigation; to prepare alternatives, think creatively, and exercise sound judgment in arriving at conclusions.
- Strong quantitative skills with an ability to analyze and interpret data.
- Excellent writing skills with ability to prepare reports that are clear, concise, and technically sound.
- Ability to make oral presentations to diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to plan and execute several workshops each year.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, planning officials, and the general public.
Experience & Training
To classify as a Level RA I, a minimum of one year of professional experience in economic development, community development, or urban planning and such training as may have been gained through graduation from a four-year college or university, with major course work in a discipline applicable to economic development or urban planning; or an equivalent combination of experience and training. To classify as a Level RA II, a minimum of three years of experience is required. Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or related field can be substituted for one year of experience.
Please forward cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com